Submitted by thisbe on February 25, 2014

Pronouncing “str” like “shtr” as in “shtrong” “shtrange”

Can you please comment on a trend that I have noticed recently. More and more people seem to be pronouncing words that contain the letters “str” as if they were written “shtr”. Strong sounds like shtrong, strange sounds like shtrange, and so on. I have noticed even my favorite NPR journalists mispronouncing these words. I first noticed this pronunciation in one of Michelle Obama’s early speeches. I’d appreciate any insight that you might have.

Perhaps they're Sean Connery fans.

I have found this:

Only the media could pick up and run with a complete misuse of pronunciation rules and thrust them into common usage. Even the army is doing this, with an obviously white announcer deliberately doing the 'shtrong' pronunciation in its recruitment ads targeted to black people.

Source: http://forums.bicycling.com/topic/5463560712382...

@Jasper - A bit off topic, but I couldn't help noticing that the commenter at your first link refers to 'the effete pronunciation of "literally" as "litrally".' -which makes me effete, apparently. At Oxford Online I seem to have a choice - /ˈlɪt(ə)rəli/. Funnily enough, Oxford Advanced Learner's shows /ˈlɪtərəli/, but in their recording that e is barely audible. But I notice that there's a difference between the British recording and the American pronunciation where the e is much more distinctive. So for 'effete' read British, no doubt.

@Warsaw Will,

I found something that pointed in the direction of its origin. I'm not agreeing with his literally/litrally distinction. The origin isn't definitive, but there's a possibility of it starting in Ebonics.

Forgot to post this: That is why I posted the links. Origins.

I hadn't noticed it. I'm still shaking my head at the announcers on the weather channel saying "temp-a-chur.'

@Jasper - It's OK, I wasn't suggesting you were responsible for his views. The 'shtr' thing is way outside my experience (I don't think I've heard it on British radio, apart from Sir Sean), although you might well be right about its source. Which is why I noticed the 'literally' remark, and found it interesting. But nothing, I admit, to do with the matter in hand.

Actually Mona's example of "temp-a-chur" is also quite interesting, as most of us don't pronounce all the syllables of that either - /tɛmp(ə)rətʃə/ (Oxford Online) - i.e. "tempr-a-cher" (and that goes for both BrE and AmE).

Those remind me of German. On National Rail in Britain, I used to hear that in 'Liverpool Street'. Then I thought it sounding more like 'LeberPool Straße'. Even 'the next' sounded like 'die nächste'.

If you'll note: This alternate pronunciation is found among people of all levels of education and background. "Black" does not equal "Uneducated", by the way and "Ebonics" is not universally accepted among African-American scholars, although the concept of language evolving in conjunction with culture is. Keep race out of it, please. It is quite possible, as it is with many words and pronunciations that originate in Old English - a relative of German, by the way - that this may also be a holdover that has not fallen by the wayside. Like "offen" vs. "often" for the pronunciation of "o-f-t-e-n". Just my two-cents.

@Mrs. Davenport

So, you're saying that African-Americans don't have their own dialect? I never said Black=uneducated, you interpolated that (although the poster may hold that position). I googled shtrong and shtrange, and that's what came up. I followed the evidence. Now if you can provide something that refutes that, then do that instead of speculating of where it came from.

@Jasper Actually, African-Americans have several dialects, just as regionally-derived as any other American. That has nothing to do with Ebonics, which is not a purely linguistic designation, but was created in a very dubious political context. I was very much a part of that conversation. In any case, the relevant point here is that you need to show some evidence that this is first even a mispronunciation vs. an alternate or comparatively outdated pronunciation, and secondly, that it is rooted in any African-American contribution to our language. It's cool to debate, however, but it shows a skewed set of priorities that the shtr- vs. str- difference is anything but noticeable (I'm talking about the "oh-how-annoying" comments.). But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

In any case, this post was so interesting that I will have to squeeze some time at some point to do some more research, and see what pops up. It's anyone's guess what might evolve. Thanks for noticing!

And please excuse the punctuation typo in my next to last response. Responding and editing on an iPhone has its positives and negatives!

@Mrs Davenport - I agree with you that a lot of comments of the 'it really annoys me' variety do tend to be pointed at what seem to be aimed at expressions which come from one or other Afro-American dialect - we had something similar about 'on tomorrow'.

But is also possible to talk about dialect in a purely observational and non-judgemental way, which is what I think Jasper was doing. I'm from Britain where we have hundreds of dialects, mostly regional, a few to do with ethnic background. Just listen to any British black comedian - they'll be doing Caribbean, more specifically Jamaican, Nigerian and LME (London multicultural English). And that's before we even get round to British Asian accents.

For many of us this is simply the rich tapestry that makes up English, and something to be celebrated. Talking about dialect, or attributing something to a particular ethnic group isn't per se disparaging.

In any case, I imagine the majority of black and Asian Brits simply have the standard regional accent of the area they come from. And then of course you've got lots of 'professionals' from ethnic backgrounds with just as middle-class or posh accents as their white peers. Social class and regional geography probably play a much bigger role in accents in Britain than racial background.

In fact, most criticism of this sort in Britain is aimed at less-educated white kids, innit? (a word that probably has ethnic roots, but is now totally multi-racial, if not totally accepted).

Incidentally, I say black people (without a capital) because that's the standard term in the UK. Some people tried to introduce Afro-Caribbean thirty years or so ago, but it never caught on.

@Mrs. Davenport,

Because of your post, I researched the term Ebonics (on wikipedia) and apologize that I may have offended you with its use. I only learned it recently, through this website no less, and use it solely as a quick synonym for African American Vernacular English (AAVE). I was not cognizant of the negative connotation that it held. As for evidence, I found this:

http://linguistlist.org/ask-ling/message-detail...

The most excerpt: "To add to what Prof. Stahlke said, this pronunciation is also found in Hawaiian English and in AAVE (African-American Vernacular English). One hears it a lot in New York, which is where a lot of American news organizations are based."

I probably should have said dialects in my last post too. And lastly, I did not claim that it was a mispronunciation, just showing a "possible" origin of it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33500869/Gif/moustache.jpg

Glad to see that others have noticed the shtrange pronunciation. My theory is that it's a DC trend wherein people unconsciously began to mimic George W. Bush in a wish to sound like an insider, and the pronunciation became contagious.

I just wish they would "shtop" it already. I'm tempted to write to some of these announcers and journalists and ask them to start sounding out words phonetically. Would they teach their children to read using this "shtrange" pronunciation?

Just to negate the argument that it is a northeast U S or African-American phenomenon...former president George W Bush does it but his father does not. And so does Michelle Dube, co-anchor on CFTO News in Toronto.