Submitted by Hairy Scot  •  December 29, 2012

intend on doing?

“I intend on doing something about that”

Just came across this in the latest Baldacci novel.

First time I’ve seen this particular form so I’m not sure if it was a slip by author, editor, proof-reader, typesetter, or all of the above; or is it common in some parts of the English speaking world?

I’d think that “I intend to do ...........” or “I am intent on doing .........” would be the normal form.

It's common in speech and speechlike writing, according to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage.

@goofy

I must admit that does surprise me.

Actually, MWDEU doesn't say it's common, it says "sometimes". But I think it's a normal expression round my way.

Although I would not say it sounds wrong, its grammar, which is what you're issue is, is odd, but I think has something to do with "doing". I think in this phrase "doing" is a gerund with gerundial object of "something". Thus, in breaking the constituents up, leads to:

(I intend) (on doing something) (about that)

The first part being the subject and verb package and the rest being prepositions.

New Fowler's calls it non-standard informal American usage. As well as "intend" + to-infinitive, both Fowlers and MWDEU give "intend" + gerund as a standard usage - "I intend taking my holiday at home this year". I would have thought this probably just started as a crossover between "intend doing" and "be intent on doing".

Whoops, your not you're.

I know, Jasper. This forum needs an 'edit'.

Seconded, or rather, thirded (sic)

And Happy New Year, everyone.

Happy New Year, Warsaw WIll and everyone else!

Anyway, I found this for "Intend on", which appears to be a colloquialism:

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intendon.html

However, I don't see anything wrong with it; after all, it implies the same thing.

with the use of "on" (i intend on) the form should be intent with on, or , intend with to.
so i intend to...
or
i am intent on..
.
of course, in casual conversation, anything can come out.