Pronouncing “début”

Pet Peeve 1. Lots of antipodeans (particularly sports commentators) persist in pronouncing “début” as “dayboo” yet they pronounce “débutante” correctly. Occurs 2 or 3 times in every broadcast on Sky TV. I now mute the sound otherwise my teeth would be ground to dust.

If you want grating, you should try asking a New Yorker to say "It is my duty to tell you there is dew due"

Traff August 19, 2013, 6:35pm

Yeah, I would think so. In french it's kind of a "yeuh" sound. I've always said day-bew.

Kat July 7, 2012, 11:54am

Check on

The French pronunciation is definitely closer to 'daybew' than 'dayboo', as is the normal English pronunciation.

Mediator July 6, 2012, 10:14pm

"but" in French is closer to 'bew' than 'boo', so it would be 'daybew' not 'dayboo'.

It's not often the Aussies get it right, but they've got it wrong again.

My god! they can't even get cricket scores the right way round!

Perfect Pedant July 6, 2012, 10:09pm

They're actually pronouncing it closer to the correct pronunciation (i.e. how the French say it) than we are.

Sam Hattz July 6, 2012, 12:53pm