It had impacts on...

Is it grammatically correct to say “It had impacts on...”? If the singular form is correct (it had an impact on), I would imagine that the plural form would have to be also correct.

• April 19, 2012
  • Posted by Dyske
  • Filed in Grammar

Would it be correct (...and simply more consise) to just say "It impacted...."

JulieMarie3 April 20, 2012, 2:06pm

"Is it grammatically correct to say 'It had impacts on...'?"

(Sounds pretty leaden though.)

JJMBallantyne April 21, 2012, 7:17am

For once I agree with JJMB. :-)

I would also avoid the use of impacted, but that's just my choice.

What's wrong with using "affect/affects/affected"?

Hairy Scot April 27, 2012, 3:03pm

"Impacted" is something that happens to wisdom teeth. As a substitute for "affected", it is in vogue, but lame.

Old Editor May 4, 2012, 4:28am

If impact, the noun, means the effect, then there is nothing lame about impact, the verb, meaning to affect.

BTW, impact was a verb before it was a noun:

impact (n.)
1781, "collision," from impact (v.). Figurative sense of "forceful impression" is from 1817 (Coleridge).

impact (v.)
c.1600, "press closely into something," from L. impactus, pp. of impingere "to push into, dash against, thrust at". Originally sense preserved in impacted teeth (1876). Sense of "strike forcefully against something" first recorded 1916. Figurative sense of "have a forceful effect on" is from 1935.

AnWulf June 1, 2012, 11:37pm