Submitted by karuro on September 18, 2005

at anytime...or anytime

Is the usage of “at anytime” in a sentence has the same connotation as “anytime”?

“You can remove any user from your chat environment at anytime”

“You can remove any user from your chat environment anytime.”

They're not quite the same. "Anytime" means "at any time". So "at anytime" would mean "at at any time", which doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, "anytime" is usually at the end of a sentence (like in your examples), not the beginning. So you could say
"At any time, you can remove a buddy from the buddy list by dragging it to the Trash". But if you said "Anytime, you can remove a buddy from the buddy list by dragging it to the Trash", it would sound very informal.

According to the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary both mean the same. However, you should not say 'at anytime.' You should say 'at any time.' It's alright to say, "Call me any time." You should not say, "Call me at anytime." The question "Can I get a meal here at any time of the day?" is grammatically correct. Remember that the context is very important.
The expression 'anytime soon' is part of American English. and is used in negative sentences and questions to refer to the near future. Example: Do you think she'll be back anytime soon?

Forgive a picky Scot but "anytime" isn't a word: it's "any time" in which context "at any time" makes sense. "Any time" is simply a shortened colloquial, conversational version of "at any time".

I feel that 'at any time' should be 3 words because it connotes a specific choice of time by using the word 'at'. Anytime is not as specific and should be used like 'sometime', 'noontime' or 'summertime' are used to mean around or near that time.

I really appreciate your comments! Anyway, it's just funny when i searched the string "at anytime" in yahoo.com:

Results 1 - 10 of about 8,450,000 for "at anytime" - 0.22 sec. (About this page

It should be either "at any time" or "anytime".