Use of “Referenced”

Am I the only person in the world who finds the ubiquitous misuse of the verb “reference” to be incredibly annoying? Where did the use of “reference” rather than “refer to” start? I realise that the definition can skirt close to this usage, but I maintain that it is a misuse.

Can you cite an example please?

osghaemm February 9, 2011, 1:59pm

It is heard when people say something like "In his speech he referenced the effect of climate change on the arctic." instead of "...he referred to the effect...".

cancuckft February 9, 2011, 2:10pm

Aha, I see your point. It is a great point. Thank you.

osghaemm February 9, 2011, 3:17pm

No, because a lot of people would agree with you.
But, no, reference is a verb, because it is giving credit to someone (or I guess something).

Referring to is rather explaining the context.
But you're right, a lot of people may be using the word improperly

dbfreak February 10, 2011, 2:26am

It is nothing more than your opinion that it is improper. I think I would probably not find myself using "reference" as a verb because as a verb it would be weak, but I think it is way too much to call it an error. The language does not need to be fenced in like that: there might be situations where the subtle difference would be useful.

fmerton February 10, 2011, 3:45pm

The first citation in the OED is 1957.

goofy February 23, 2011, 3:10pm