“sources of” vs. “the source of”

Consider a scenario where a bloodstain was discovered and analyzed. It was determined the blood came from a single source. Joe is not the source of the blood. Jack is not the source of the blood. Which of the following statements is correct and why? Joe and Jack are excluded as SOURCES of the blood. Joe and Jack are excluded as THE SOURCE of the blood.

Or

Ok, imagine the blood they are looking for is called t-blood.

No t-blood has been found in Joe nor Jack. It is from the results of this analysis that Joe nor Jack are sources for the t-blood discrepancy amongst humans.

However, the focus of the search is on the one confirmed source, and so, Joe nor Jack are the source for this search.

I think I explained that bad, but both can be used, but they will slightly mean different things.

dbfreak November 17, 2010, 4:29am

Excellent post thanks!

Sent from my iPhone 4G

motofreak1985 June 19, 2010, 2:23pm

I agree with Zeenins. It's singular.

manimae June 15, 2010, 11:50am

This is an easy one -- since they are looking for the source it should be singular, no?

z99 June 14, 2010, 8:22pm