Am I Missing Something?

How would one punctuate the following sentence?

We walk with you every step of the way from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

(I feel like there should be something between ‘every step of the way’ and ‘from initial conceptual design...”)

Or

A comma separating FROM and INITIAL would make it read better.

dave June 23, 2005, 11:16am

I agree with Dave Ratzinger, er, I mean, Dave Rattigan.

wayneleman June 23, 2005, 11:49am

actually, i think it shouldn't be:

we walk with you, every step of the way, from the initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

nor

we walk with you every step of the way, from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

infact, the sentence is just too long i think, so i would actually just rephrase it...

i would write it:

from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation, we walk with you every step of the way.

hmm, i have no clue if any of this is right, it just sounds right to me haha.

by the way, nice site ^_^

saint June 23, 2005, 12:14pm

A comma between "from" and "initial" wouldn't be correct.

What about: "We walk with you every step of the way, from initial conceptual design through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation."

Matthew Harvey June 23, 2005, 3:37pm

I fully agree with Mr. Harvey.

Rachel June 23, 2005, 3:42pm

What's wrong with a hyphen?

We walk with you every step of the way - from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

jwalser June 24, 2005, 7:23pm

This sounds like advertising, so I think it can be informal. So I agree with the use of a hyphen. Traditionally a comma or dash would be used:

We walk with you every step of the way, from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

We walk with you every step of the way--from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation.

Also, since you are using a construction of "from - through", and since "through" is separated from the ultimate goal of implementation, I would suggest adding "finally" or something like that, to indicate the goal has been reached:

We walk with you every step of the way - from initial conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and finally, implementation.

Or, since I think "initial" sounds redundant:

We walk with you every step of the way - from conceptual design, through case illustration, document drafting, and finally, implementation.

John June 25, 2005, 3:59pm

USE THE HYPHEN!

margaret June 29, 2005, 6:41am

Get it right: It's not a hyphen--it's a DASH.

lamont2718 June 30, 2005, 1:27pm

I will never forget the difference again -- now that I know the difference. THANKS SEAN FOR BEING SO BITINGLY CORRECT WITH YOUR GRAMMAR!

margaret July 1, 2005, 3:36am

To be specific: it's an em dash. :p

IngisKahn July 1, 2005, 9:59am

... What about a colon?

"We walk you through every step of the way: From initial concept design, through case illustration, document drafting, and implementation."

That would break up the sentence, at least. Wouldn't you say?

rin July 20, 2005, 2:07am

Sorry... I misquoted. But you get the idea.

Rin July 20, 2005, 2:09am

I certainly wouldn't use a colon. If you do, it is not correct to capitalize the word following it.

meg October 11, 2005, 10:23pm