Submitted by whoopycat  •  November 26, 2009

“...not that there’s anything wrong with that.”

I’m curious as to the origin of the phrase “...not that there’s anything wrong with that.”

I have a vague recollection of hearing it for the first time -- possibly in a comedian’s act? -- many years ago, clearly in the context that it now seems to ubiquitously have: a reference to homosexuality. For the life of me, I cannot recall who it was I first heard say this. I do seem to recall that it was long before Seinfeld made it popular.

Does anyone else have a similar memory?

The first I remember was on an episode of Seinfeld, where Jerry's supposed to be doing an interview with a woman who thinks he and George are gay for one another. They affixed the phrase to the end of every insistence that they were not gay lovers.

Every time homosexuality was mentioned on Seinfeld, someone would say, "—not that there's anything wrong with that..."

Of course, that is not the origin of this phrase. It surely goes back centuries...