Submitted by Dyske on June 15, 2009

Word for Twitter Whores?

Is there a word to describe a Twitter user who follows everyone in an attempt to get them to follow him? Now, I’m getting a regular stream of them. When you look at their profiles, they have hundreds of followers. It’s just not possible or practical to read that many tweets every day. Obviously they are not reading anything; they just want you to read their tweets. It’s a marketing ploy.

How about Twitter Twats? Or Twatters?

I was going to say that something simple like "twats" would do fine, but I think Frank Luo's "twatters" would hold up much better out of context.

Dr. Mc, you're kidding! You don't find it cumbersome to say, "I searched up twatters on Google," instead of a much simpler, "I googled twatters"?

Twatters. That made me laugh out loud.

Twitter whores.
Please leave it at that, I'm already disgruntled by the fact that words such as "Google" and "Riffage" have made it into traditional dictionaries, they don't need to be filled out with any more uselessly coined internet terminology, especially ones that you have no need for.

I agree with tim.heuett. New technology spawns new words, which is as it should be.

I think you've answered your own question. The people you're describing are, in fact, twitter whores.

@EGKG

You are right. I see that someone has already coined the term "Twitter whore" on <a href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=... target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Urban Dictionary</a>, and the definition is exactly what I described.

I think the word is "bots," since the majority of accounts of this nature are controlled programatically via the Twitter API.