Word for Twitter Whores?

Is there a word to describe a Twitter user who follows everyone in an attempt to get them to follow him? Now, I’m getting a regular stream of them. When you look at their profiles, they have hundreds of followers. It’s just not possible or practical to read that many tweets every day. Obviously they are not reading anything; they just want you to read their tweets. It’s a marketing ploy.

I think you've answered your own question. The people you're describing are, in fact, twitter whores.

egkg June 15, 2009, 5:13pm

How about Twitter Twats? Or Twatters?

cha_siu June 16, 2009, 12:37am

You are right. I see that someone has already coined the term "Twitter whore" on <a href=" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Urban Dictionary</a>, and the definition is exactly what I described.

Dyske June 16, 2009, 11:09am

Twatters. That made me laugh out loud.

hadleyaw June 20, 2009, 8:43pm

I think the word is "bots," since the majority of accounts of this nature are controlled programatically via the Twitter API.

robfargo June 21, 2009, 10:20pm

Twitter whores.
Please leave it at that, I'm already disgruntled by the fact that words such as "Google" and "Riffage" have made it into traditional dictionaries, they don't need to be filled out with any more uselessly coined internet terminology, especially ones that you have no need for.

drmc June 23, 2009, 8:16pm

I was going to say that something simple like "twats" would do fine, but I think Frank Luo's "twatters" would hold up much better out of context.

Dr. Mc, you're kidding! You don't find it cumbersome to say, "I searched up twatters on Google," instead of a much simpler, "I googled twatters"?

tim.heuett November 19, 2009, 11:35am

I agree with tim.heuett. New technology spawns new words, which is as it should be.

Tom in TX November 13, 2011, 3:06pm