Life Savers 5 Flavor

The package of Life Savers says, “5 Flavor”. Shouldn’t it be “flavors” (plural)? Why do you think it was left singular? The plural would make it rhyme better too. It’s a peculiar thing.

• March 18, 2005
  • Posted by Dyske
  • Filed in Grammar
  • 9 comments

Or

Any discussion of grammar etc in american english is pointless as most if it is completely wrong; you try and shorten/distort as many words as you can, it's ridiculous.

It's flavour, retards.

Dan April 12, 2005, 9:12am

Gee, Dan, for someone who uses the internet, you sure are provincial as hell. Loser.

speedwell2 April 12, 2005, 2:16pm

I haven't seen the packet, but presumably "5 flavor" (should that be hyphenated?) is being used as an adjective, rather than strictly as a quantity + noun.

This old discussion is relevant, since it basically addresses the same grammatical problem: http://www.painintheenglish.com/post.asp?id=334

dave March 19, 2005, 2:33am

Hi Dave,

You can see the package by clicking on the first link.

Dyske March 19, 2005, 11:18am

First link where...? I think I missed something. :)

dave March 19, 2005, 2:00pm

Do you see the link for candystand.com? It's right underneath the title "Life Savers 5 Flavor". Right on this page. Right above here.

Dyske March 19, 2005, 2:14pm

There's a big gap like there's supposed to be something there, but no link. Anyway, I found it myself.

I think the answer is that "5 Flavor" is supposed to be taken as an adjective. What's missing is a hyphen, which would make that clearer.

dave March 20, 2005, 3:26am

This old discussion is relevant, since it basically addresses the same grammatical problem.

When you people (Dave and dyske) know the above mentioned, when are you discussing?????????

clickmaadi March 22, 2005, 8:09am

:This old discussion is relevant, since it basically
: addresses the same grammatical problem.
:
: When you people (Dave and dyske) know the
: above mentioned, when are you
: discussing?????????

I stand underdidn't that.

dave March 22, 2005, 11:42am