Submitted by Dyske on March 18, 2005

Life Savers 5 Flavor

The package of Life Savers says, “5 Flavor”. Shouldn’t it be “flavors” (plural)? Why do you think it was left singular? The plural would make it rhyme better too. It’s a peculiar thing.

I haven't seen the packet, but presumably "5 flavor" (should that be hyphenated?) is being used as an adjective, rather than strictly as a quantity + noun.

This old discussion is relevant, since it basically addresses the same grammatical problem: http://www.painintheenglish.com/post.asp?id=334

Hi Dave,

You can see the package by clicking on the first link.

First link where...? I think I missed something. :)

Do you see the link for candystand.com? It's right underneath the title "Life Savers 5 Flavor". Right on this page. Right above here.

There's a big gap like there's supposed to be something there, but no link. Anyway, I found it myself.

I think the answer is that "5 Flavor" is supposed to be taken as an adjective. What's missing is a hyphen, which would make that clearer.

This old discussion is relevant, since it basically addresses the same grammatical problem.

When you people (Dave and dyske) know the above mentioned, when are you discussing?????????

:This old discussion is relevant, since it basically
: addresses the same grammatical problem.
:
: When you people (Dave and dyske) know the
: above mentioned, when are you
: discussing?????????

I stand underdidn't that.

Any discussion of grammar etc in american english is pointless as most if it is completely wrong; you try and shorten/distort as many words as you can, it's ridiculous.

It's flavour, retards.

Gee, Dan, for someone who uses the internet, you sure are provincial as hell. Loser.