Sunday best

Is the expression “Sunday best” (=one’s best clothes) still used currently?

You can use that word to compliment someone that looks awesome with his/her clothes on any occation or insult someone who looks like a fashion criminal with his/her wardrobe :)

Example: look beautiful today on your sunday best! (praising)

Aren't you look pretty on your sunday best(sarcastic)

karuro September 2, 2005, 3:40am

Someone I know is having an evening function and wrote to wear "Sunday best" on the invite. This is very confusing to me. What would you wear to something like this? Would a strapless A-line be appropriate?

lucy August 25, 2005, 1:22pm

Always happy to toss in my two-cents. :) ~s

sarah May 11, 2005, 1:30am

this phrase is really only used if you are and older person or a christian, otherwise some people might think you are weird.

nikki April 30, 2005, 1:22am

No Sarah, that's what I asked! :)

I really appreciate the perspective you threw on this for me.

Thank you

Eduardo February 21, 2005, 10:11am

Yes, it is, but the difference is that many people in my generation (I'm 22) or younger may consider one's "Sunday best" to be a lot different (i.e. more casual, less conservative, etc.) than what was once considered to be such.

I personally use my own phrase "recital clothes" to connote what once might have been understood as "church clothes." It's a more prudent style implied. "Nice clothes", however, are frequently regarded as "work clothes" in the white-collar understanding.

More than you asked, sorry :).

Sarah February 17, 2005, 5:32pm

Well, in Iowa, I usually never hear it. When I do, it's mainly said by elderly people on Sunday after they've been to church.

Zach February 14, 2005, 10:11pm

Thank you Dave and Speedwell for your usual prompt help!

Eduardo February 11, 2005, 6:35pm

Still used in the non-ironic sense here in Texas, if the speaker wants to give a sort of old-fashioned, earnest tone to what he's saying.

speedwell2 February 10, 2005, 8:16am

Yes, it is still frequently heard, although it is often used slightly ironically or tongue-in-cheek (i.e. given that literally dressing up for church on a Sunday is increasingly outdated).

dave February 10, 2005, 5:46am