Coke, kleenex, xerox

HELP! I understand that coke, kleenex and xerox are examples of synecdoches, but I believe that there is a word for the specific kind of synecdoche where a brand name has come to mean the generic name for a product. This search has been driving me moderately insane. Any help you can give will be truly appreciated by myself, my family, and my pharmacist.

Here, someone asks basically the same question:

ladylucy January 11, 2005, 6:57am

Sol, the word for what is going on when a brand name becomes a standard English term seems to be "genericide," oddly enough.

The most commonly used phrase for such a term appears to be "generic word."

There is some consensus on these new words, but no hard-and-fast rule. Language is like that.

And why is your pharmacist upset? He's making a profit. Maybe there are some other issues there. (just kidding) :)

speedwell2 January 11, 2005, 8:10am

They are called proprietary eponyms.
Heres the link to most of them:

Jason Wolpers May 29, 2007, 10:23am

Hey, thanks Jason Wolpers, really interesting and surprising (to me) link.

AO May 29, 2007, 9:49pm

I knew it was only a matter of time before we'd see this happen; I just didn't think we'd see...

lastkat83 November 14, 2009, 10:58am

I sent this reply 4 years ago and the link has been broken since then. Here is a new link.

jasonswolpers January 20, 2011, 10:30pm