Submitted by apey  •  January 3, 2005

Fair Enough

Is there any meaningful difference between “fair enough” and “good enough?” Is “fair” in this context a degree of quality (good-fair-poor-bad) or does it denote fairness in a judicial sense?Thank you!

The latter.

"Good enough" is about quality; "Fair enough" is is an expression of approval, in a judicial sense, as you say.

agreed with Dave.

I use them interchangebly without any specific circumstance. The "good enough" applies also to quantity in this scenario. In betting who can eat Buffalo Wings (yes, I am from Buffalo, NY), one might say: "If you eat 5 more pieces, I'll give you another 5 bucks, good enough?" In response, the contestant says: "How about 10?". The rebuttal says: "Fair enough!"

I've always heard "fair enough" used in situations, for example, where two friends are disagreeing about something.

"I wouldn't do such-&-such, it's rude!"
"Oh, but I do it because x..."
"Oh, fair enough." (meaning "I see your point," or "If it works for you" or anything like that)

"fair enough" is juz the english way of showing how they see ur point when u explained urself or sthg like that.

when a person says "fari enough" they r implying that both sides are under an equal understanding. fair used like both sides are equal