Submitted by karenmetrin on July 5, 2008

Numbered List of People

I need to list the people in a photo, below the photo. The picture will be framed, not in a magazine, etc. What is the proper punctuation? The way I originally typed the names follows but I am ready to finalize the layout and want to know the proper format. The way I have it now:

1. Catherine, March 11, 1874; 2. Alice Bell, July 8, 1875; 3. Birdie Alberdine, February 14, 1877; 4. Mary Adella, November 15, 1879… and so on for eight people.

If I number each person, is additional punctuation required between the names as I have typed it or do the numbers stand alone? Should the individual names even be numbered? I am really not certain what the proper format is.

I am on a deadline to complete this restored photo and layout for a client so a prompt reply would be greatly appreciated.

Of course it can't be assumed that they're all in one line, or in straight lines if there are more than one.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with your style, Karin. In these cases it's better to go for clarity.

(I remember my 74-person graduation picture came with a separate sheet of numbered outlines, so that each person could easily be identified.)

I think you ought to indicate 'left to right," and avoid numbering but use the rest of the information as you now have it.