Submitted by goossun on November 1, 2004

V-cards

Does anyone knows what “V-cards” mean? I was at a Hotel reception in Spain and there were a bunch of American teenagers around. One of them just said to the other “Go race some V-cards” by which he surely meant “shut up” and it was supposed to be offensive. I asked two of my American friends the next day and they said they had no idea what that could have been. I’m almost sure I heard it correctly because there was a Spanish girl among those teenagers who asked “what’s V-cards” and one of the American girls explained to her in a low voice that I could not hear. Though the word “race” might’ve been “raise” or something like that!

I think you're right and the word must have been "raise." A "vCard" is an electronic business or visiting card that people pass around by beaming from their PDA or cell phone. I think the "V" must stand for "virtual," as in "virtual reality." The kids you saw must have been "working" the crowd for business or social contacts.

Look here: http://www.imc.org/pdi/vcardoverview.html

As far as the rudeness of the statement you heard, it seems to me to mean something more like "go away and make yourself useful" than merely "shut up."

It is also slang for someone who is a virgin. Probably explains the rudeness in the tone.

urbandictionary.com adds: 'All virgins have a "V-Card" until they "cash it in" for sex.'

Cool. I did not know that.

Well, OK, then the word must still have been "raise!" :)

as a youngin' (age 22), I'd support Justin's respond first and foremost. A "v-card" is known in schools, magazines and online quite commonly as one's virginity.
If you have your v-card, you have your virginity.

So what does "Go raise some V-cards" mean then?

The original posting read, "Go race some V-cards."

If someone is blowing off a friend with an angry retort, then, there are some horrible expressions such as: "go get some" and "somebody needs to get laid." These would be relatively synonymous with telling someone to go and find oneself a virgin.

It explains the quiet hush-hush attitude, too.

Looking at the common postings with "V card" references, (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&...), there is more support for the idea of it being a virginity reference.

Dear Sarah
Yes it was "race" but I wasn't sure what I heard was race or raise. Speedwell suggested that it is more likely to be raise.
You seem to be a good slang source! Keep in touch :-)

Certainly! :) ~s

Are you sure they didn't say "race some V-cars" referring to some new video game the youngins are playing? (this comment makes me sound old - I'm actually 25!)

what is this video game? And how new? I heared this V-card last September.

Oh, I didn't mean that there is a video game called V-cars, I was merely suggesting he could have misheard and perhaps they were talking about a video game (I have no idea if it exists - more than likely it does not).

margaret, that was quite fun!

he meant "rase" like erase. basically said "go fuck some virgins".