Submitted by marta  •  August 31, 2004

tuitions in graffiti

Is there any nice and concise word for a person who is given private tuitions and the one for sb who makes graffiti?

I am guessing that SB is short for "somebody".

A person who does graffiti would generally be known as a "graffiti artist", which in my understanding is "nice".

Was the query about tuition supposed to be totally separate? Your question was a bit confusing. However, if you were asking what you call someone who receives private tuition in general (as opposed to private tuition in doing graffiti), the word would be "student" or "pupil". Offhand, I don't think there is another term that uniquely belongs to private tuition.

Dave, the title of my question is a joke, of course. 'Sb' is somebody indeed. I asked for two separate things, the name for sb who makes graffiti and for sb who takes private lessons. I think 'student' and 'pupil' standing on their own in a text do not mean that a person takes private lessons, a more precise word would do here. 'graffiti artist' seems nice, though. Do you think 'a sprayman' would be good enough?

Thanks for clarifying.

So far as I know, SPRAYMAN would be your own invention.

I can't think offhand of any term more specific than "student" or "pupil". You would probably just have to add a qualifier.

You are right, apparently. A 'sprayman' is indeed my invention because I love coining new words.

Let's not forget the slang term for graffiti artists: "tagger." Taggers are people that enjoy spraypainting a certain design, name, or symbol on any suitable surface on many an occasion. It has grown to become synonymous with "graffiti artist," though it has its own connotations.

Don't forget 'graf writer' which tends to be used in hip-hop circles.

Tutee & graffitiist

And how do you like 'giraffiti artist' and 'scratchiti artist'? 'Giraffiti' is considered to be an English neologism and so is 'scratchiti'. The former means a vandalism painted in a high spot, the latter a graffiti in a form of scratched lines (or something to that effect) made usually on the glass. By the way, scratchitis (?! do these words have plural forms?) have been a plague in Polish busses...

Tagger usualy refers to someone who uses a paint pen or other kind of marking device to "tag" public property with their personal "tag name" or nickname. A kind of teritorial marking, much like dogs peeing on things.
Graffiti has become something quite different. Its more than just writing a name, or "claiming" a piece of property, its painting pictures, (quite often highly artistic and beautiful) on large public spaces, with spraypaint. Both tagging and graffiti are illegal activities, but some graffiti artists are widely recognized and have gotten jobs as professional graffiti artists. Alot of Graffiti artists find taggers to be a nuisance, and hate being grouped in with them.
So I would stay away from using Tagger if you are describing someone who does graffiti.

Anyone who studies is a "student," whether the person they study with is a teacher, tutor, rabbi, guru, master, preceptor, inculcator, or indoctrinator.

"Tutee" is a joke. (You did MEAN it as a joke, Don, right?)

I'd go with "graffiti artist" for the other.

It's no joke. As someone who has had numerous one-on-one tutorials at Oxford, I can assure you that "tutee" is the correct term.

Weird. But all right, "tutee." Hmmph.

Just SAYING that word around a bunch of local cowboys will get you laughed at, however. lol

One who produces graffiti is known as a:

graffitist

And, what would it take to make your tutee fruity?

I don't know... a purple silk scarf, a previous career in interior design, and his hand on your knee?

(shudder)

hello
my guess on who SB is sombody who does graffiti>
that dras on the walls of subways and other walls >
graffiti could be sombodies name of a felling..

a [graffiti] tagger only tags.
graff is really diffrent then gallery art, and 'graffiti artist' suggests too much similarity imho.
so 'writer', or 'graffiti writer', is the best. its also the most used word inside the community.
scrachiti is just another form of tagging, so it doesnt have any special names.

im a graff writer.. and i just bumped into this site surfing. thought i'd help you out.

Help from someone who KNOWS what they're talking about is ALWAYS of the highest possible value. Thank you.

Hi... I live in a small village called Stanford Le Hope in Essex (it's near Lakeside Shopping Center) and i waz wonderin', does anyone know the name of a professional graffiti artist coz i might have some work for them...

They would have to be quite local though....

Cheers

Instead of "tutee" and "tutor" might I suggest "perpetrator" and "accessory before the fact?" Graffiti is not confined to "public spaces." Owners of private property spend millions each year to remove it. Government spends an awful lot to remove it from "public property" as well, which we all pay for. Whether it is mere tagging, or an ostensibly artistic mural executed without the permission of a structure's owner, it is still criminal activity that doesn't need any cute neologisms.

Instead of "kevrob" might I suggest "goody two-shoes?"

Fun and relevant: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?m...

GRAFFER, Apprentice.

Spoiled Rich Brat and Punk

taggers are artists too ... if you dont like it it doesnt mean its not art...i think that the difference is in the fact that some do it for fame and other for art

lol forget my comment its just not related...

YO! For real the correct, original name for a someone who writes graffiti is a:

(Graffiti) WRITER

"tagger" is stupid, "graffer" is unnatural, if you like the art call them "writers".
Peace

Devon born Devon bred strong with a can thick on the wall!