Can anyone give an example of verbal “charade” plesae?

Could this be a clue? Found this partial definition:

"charade : n 1: a composition that imitates somebody's style in a humorous way [syn: parody, lampoon, spoof, sendup, mockery, takeoff, burlesque, travesty, pasquinade, put-on]"

speedwell2 July 23, 2004, 11:34am

Could you expand a little on what you mean by "verbal charade"? Perhaps you could give us the context in which you've heard that phrase?

Dave July 23, 2004, 1:30pm

OK. Webster online says "A verbal or acted enigma based upon a word which has two or more significant syllables or parts, each of which, as well as the word itself, is to be guessed from the descriptions or representations."
So I did not have any example to see what it could really be like.

goossun July 23, 2004, 8:19pm

In that case, I'm not sure. I've never known Charades as a game to be played in any other way than mime.

Dave July 24, 2004, 6:39am

Although... from the Webster definition, I guess it could be something like this:

Website, four words:
First word - sheet of glass
Fourth word - name of a language

(Answer: Pain in the English)

Is that the kind of example you were looking for?

Dave July 24, 2004, 6:41am

in GAMES magazine, every issue has two wicked cryptic crosswords. One type of answer is called a charade - where the answer is broken into smaller words, which are clued individually.

For example, the clue "Auto animal" yields the answer CARPET.

carriegood July 30, 2004, 8:28pm

don't not get what your want me to do!!!!!!!

me October 29, 2004, 12:13pm

I get it now I think it means that its something you guess on and I have never answered a question like this before on the computer

me again!! October 29, 2004, 12:15pm