Submitted by goossun on June 18, 2004

...t you

The T which meets the word YOU is usually pronounced somewhat like CH, right? Such as “got ya!” or “what you...”. Just wonder how one can write the sound. Is there an agreeable way to write it? As we almost agree to write “gotta” for “have got to”?

Just remembered that Q.T. in Pulp Fiction script had things like "whatch ya're gonna..." as far as I recall.
Is that a correct way of writing it?

't' and 'j' are pronounced as 'ch' when they are on the margins of the words e.g. in 'don't you'. Linguists call it 'palatalisation' and it's a kind of phonetic 'trick'. Similarly, it happens between 'd' and 'j' in 'd'you like it?'. Then it gives the sound of 'g'

*Ahem* Mr Speedwell. There's nothing "sloppy" about "sliding" into "goddit". Less of the linguistic prejudice, please. ;)

Informally:
got ya - gotcha
what you - whatcha

Incidentally, when used in "got it" as in "I understand" ("Oh, you don't have to tell me again, I got it"), you say both words without changing either one, though a sloppy speaker might slide into "goddit."

Ha! Less of the sexist prejudice, please. Speedwell is a lady. :)

Didactic? Who, me? :D

Well, excuuuuuuuse me...! Who's sexist now? Why did you assume I was using "Mr" in the traditional male sense???

[Shuffles off discreetly.]

:D

I'm sexist! Sexi[e]st, sexy st. or/and St. Sexy!
However does S EXIST? S: "X is T."
(Here S stands for Socrates; don't mix up with Samuel Beckett or Saddam)
Yeah, SEX is TEA.

Okay.

goossun, not in front of the children. ;D

GOTCHA