Head shot

As nasty as it sounds, for a translation I just need to know what the word is for the shooting into head of an executed person after being shot by the fire squad. Is it a head shot? Or there is a military jargon for it?

Coup de grâce is certainly the one term I am familiar with as being associated with a firing squad

Anne Martin November 13, 2007, 4:05pm

Thank you so much. It is really difficult for non native speakers to sense such subtle difference as you pointed out. Thanks again! :)

legaltranslator October 29, 2007, 8:05am

Monkey, like most mass nouns, it depends on how you're using it. Usually, it is uncountable and used in the singular. While we're at it, so is "usage". You should have said: "...this site is where English usage is scrutinized..."

Anonymous October 28, 2007, 8:59am

Is "jargon" a uncountable noun? I was taught that "jargon" is and was corrected in this usage by my English teacher. Since this site is where English usages are scrutinized, I am just puzzled and raise my question. I am not being picky...I really want to know the answer from native speakers.

Thank you all!

legaltranslator October 27, 2007, 10:39am

Apparently "dead checking" is the modern terminology used by US solders.

Coup de grâce (blow of mercy) might also be of use.

Caecus.Morio October 25, 2007, 8:17am

Nicholas is correct.

A head shot is an instantly fatal shot to the head, usually fired by a sniper. It's also a common term among players of first-person-shooter video games.

And, in the spirit of Hurley, I offer you: noggin pop.

Doug Brown October 24, 2007, 3:37pm

What about "cranial shot".

Hurley October 23, 2007, 8:17am

Head shot certainly doesn't work. A head shot is a professional 8 x 10 glossy photograph of an actor or model, sent to prospective employers as part of his or her portfolio.

porsche October 20, 2007, 5:13am

Coup de grace.

seimotek October 20, 2007, 3:14am