Submitted by Dyske on November 10, 2002

Type

“Mercedes SL500. Acura NSX. BMW Z4. These types of cars are ...” Or “This type of cars” Or “This type of car” Or “These types of car” Or “These types of a car” In a situation where, by the word “type”, I mean to say “expensive sports car”, which is correct? It is one specific type of automobile that I’m trying to refer to, so “types” seems wrong, but to follow a list of cars with “This type of” seems wrong too. (What would “this” be referring to? It would not be the cars that I listed.)

agree with pete

I would think either "these types of cars" or "this type of car" would be acceptable. No?

http//www.phealgud.com/personal.htm

i think it would be "these type of cars are"

Why it's not just "These cars are" is a mystery to me.

In terms of what your question seems to imply, type is referring to a class of cars, not to the cars themselves, thus use type, the singular. Otherwise, there can be several types of cars that, for example, are painted red.

"This type of car"

"this type" refers to "expensive sports car" despite not being explicitly enumerated earlier.

This is a dandy idea though, I should set one up for Japanese.

Via Gregg:
It should be "This type of car".